[NTG-context] horizontal spacing under special circumstances

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Tue Dec 8 04:01:22 CET 2015

Am 2015-12-08 um 02:15 schrieb Rik Kabel <context at rik.users.panix.com>:

>>> When typesetting bibliography manually, I typically use \frenchspacing.
>> You may, but that is increasing spacing (at least around punctuation).
>> But my publisher would like tighter-than-normal spacing.
> Is a condensed font that complements your text face available? That, and reducing the font size should be the first things to look at.
> If neither will work for you, there is a sledge-hammer you can wield: \kerncharacters. Depending on the font and your sensibilities, you might get away with \kerncharacters[-0.07], but even at -0.03 some look bad. You will lose ligatures.

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not looking for typographical solutions, being a typographer myself.

I asked explicitely for TeXnical advice to achieve tighter spacing - maybe I should have made clear that I don’t mean character kerning but only the handling of "space" glyphs.

Greetlings, Hraban
---
http://www.fiee.net
http://wiki.contextgarden.net