[NTG-context] "Trial typesetting" in ConTeXt / lua ?

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed Nov 18 02:46:00 CET 2015

On 11/17/2015 9:15 AM, josephcanedo at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I was wondering if someone could have some hints on this question,
> anyway, I found the function mknodes() from luaTeX wiki and
> nodes.handlers.characters(head) function in ConTeXt (as it seems that
> node.ligaturing(head) and node.kerning(head) do not seem to do anything).
>
> It seems to work fine (ligatures and font features) expect the kerning.
> Does someone know how to perform the kerning as well ?

I'm not sure if i understand your issue.

traditional ligaturing and kerning is applied when a node list has fonts
using basemode

\starttext

\startluacode

     local hbox = nodes.typesetters.hpack("Hello World!")

     context("%p",hbox.width)

     nodes.flush_list(hbox)

\stopluacode

\stoptext

> Best regards
>
> Joseph Canedo

you can assemble a list of characters and then do an hpack on them