[NTG-context] Ligatures and copy-paste

Tommaso Petrucciani tommaso.petrucciani at icloud.com
Mon Nov 9 17:43:12 CET 2015

>> is there some command to issue in order to have ligatures copy-paste correctly in PDFs?
>> I thought Mk IV did this automatically, but it’s not working on my system.
>> Ligatures paste as spaces and searching the PDF doesn’t find the words.
>>
>> I use ConTeXt beta 2015-10-09, Apple Preview and Skim as readers.
>>
>> My code now is just:
>> \starttext
>> effective and efficient
>> \stoptext
>
> Your example works on linux with evince 3.16, so I assume it's more a problem of your pdf viewer than of context.

Thanks, I’ve checked and in fact my PDF works with Acrobat Reader on OS X.

However, PDFs with ligatures made by other programs (including LuaLaTeX with fontspec) work just fine in Apple Preview. Some PDFs made with Mk IV work too (for example I can copy-paste from the fonts-mkiv.pdf book).

Do you have any clue whether there is something I can change which might be responsible?

Thanks again,
Tommaso