[NTG-context] Kerning and ligatures in math roman font

Ulrike Fischer news3 at nililand.de
Mon Nov 9 14:59:52 CET 2015

Am Mon, 9 Nov 2015 14:22:45 +0100 schrieb Hans Hagen:

>> Yes, one workaround is to quit math mode. The other to use fonts in
>> mode "base". But I would like to understand why workarounds are
>> needed at all.

> because opentype math fonts are just math fonts (simple for text, rich
> for math)

But there is no math font involved. This latex example

\documentclass{article}
\usepackage{fontspec}
\begin{document}
VA $\mathrm{VA}$
\end{document}

uses exactly one font:

<d:/texlive/2015/texmf-dist/fonts/opentype/public/lm/lmroman10-regular.otf>

But outside math it is kerned, inside not.

And this plain tex example doesn't use math fonts either.

\input luaotfload.sty

\font\Urm=Arial:mode=node;script=latn;language=DFLT;+tlig;+trep;
\textfont0\Urm
\Urm VA $\fam0 VA$ %no kerning in math

\font\Urmbase=Arial:mode=base;script=latn;language=DFLT;+tlig;+trep;
\textfont0\Urmbase
\Urm VA $\fam0 VA$ %kerning in math
\bye

(I used Arial so that one can see clearly that a text font is used)

--
Ulrike Fischer
http://www.troubleshooting-tex.de/