[NTG-context] New btx code problem with quote protrusion, redux

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Mon Oct 26 23:12:48 CET 2015

> Rik Kabel <mailto:context at rik.users.panix.com>
> 23. Oktober 2015 um 20:40
> At Wolfgang’s request, a new thread for this subject. I have cleaned
> up the example from the July 5 posting, but the problems are the same
> as shown there. In July Alan suggested that there might a bug here,
> but nothing has been done to address it since then. Wolfgang suggested
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg35580.html) that
> method=font is required for proper protrusion handling for quotations.
>
> 1. When \setupdelimitedtext[quotation][method=font] is present /and
>    //there is //no citation//in a footnote within a startquotation
>    block and a bibliography is produced/, compilation proceeds normally.
> 2. When \setupdelimitedtext[quotation][method=font] is present /and
>    //there is a citation//in a footnote within a startquotation block
>    and a bibliography is produced,/ the compilation complains of a
>    missing right curly. When allowed to continue to completion the
>    protrusion for the opening quotation marks does not match the
>    protrusion for similar marks not produced through \startquotation.
>    Citations in footnotes outside quotation blocks are not a problem.
>    Without a bibliography (\placelistofpublications)
You have to change the following definition in publ-imp-default.mkvi:

\definebtx
   [\s!default:\s!list:title:article]
   [\s!default:\s!list:title]
- [\c!style=, % journal is set in italics
-  \c!command={\quotation\Word}]
+ [\c!style={\setcharactercasing[\v!Word]},
+  \c!command=\quotation]
> 3. When \setupdelimitedtext[quotation][method=font] is present, the
>    [right] option of \startblockquotation is treated as text within the
>    quotation. This can be resolved by adding “leftmargin=” to the
>    \setupdelimitedtext[quotation] command (but that complicates matters
>    when you want other alignments). Similarly, the [left] and [middle]
>    options are ignored as options and appear as text.
When you use method=font context using a different rendering mechanism
for the quotation block without the optional argument.
> 4. When “method=font” is not present, protrusion for block quotations
>    (\startblockquotation … \stopblockquotation) is greater than and not
>    aligned with other protrusion.
> 5. When “method=font” is not present, protrusion for non-block
>    quotations (\quotation{…}) is not done at all.
When you use the default method context puts the quotation marks
in a box which is only moved into the margin independant of protrusion.
> 6. With the older bibliography system, footnotes in citations in
>    quotation blocks do not cause a halt in compilation.
See 2.
> 7. With the older bibliography system, item 3 is still a problem, that
>    is, method=font appears to be inimical to the left, right, and
>    middle options for \startblockquotation without regard to the
>    bibliography system in use.
Wolfgang