[NTG-context] New btx code problem with quote protrusion, redux

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Sat Oct 24 00:51:25 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-23 14:40, Rik Kabel wrote:
> At Wolfgang’s request, a new thread for this subject. I have cleaned
> up the example from the July 5 posting, but the problems are the same
> as shown there. In July Alan suggested that there might a bug here,
> but nothing has been done to address it since then. Wolfgang suggested
> (http://www.mail-archive.com/ntg-context%40ntg.nl/msg35580.html) that
> method=font is required for proper protrusion handling for quotations.
>
>  1. When \setupdelimitedtext[quotation][method=font] is present /and
>     //there is //no citation//in a footnote within a startquotation
>     block and a bibliography is produced/, compilation proceeds normally.
>  2. When \setupdelimitedtext[quotation][method=font] is present /and
>     //there is a citation//in a footnote within a startquotation block
>     and a bibliography is produced,/ the compilation complains of a
>     missing right curly. When allowed to continue to completion the
>     protrusion for the opening quotation marks does not match the
>     protrusion for similar marks not produced through \startquotation.
>     Citations in footnotes outside quotation blocks are not a problem.
>     Without a bibliography (\placelistofpublications)
>  3. When \setupdelimitedtext[quotation][method=font] is present, the
>     [right] option of \startblockquotation is treated as text within
>     the quotation. This can be resolved by adding “leftmargin=” to the
>     \setupdelimitedtext[quotation] command (but that complicates
>     matters when you want other alignments). Similarly, the [left] and
>     [middle] options are ignored as options and appear as text.
>  4. When “method=font” is not present, protrusion for block quotations
>     (\startblockquotation … \stopblockquotation) is greater than and
>     not aligned with other protrusion.
>  5. When “method=font” is not present, protrusion for non-block
>     quotations (\quotation{…}) is not done at all.
>  6. With the older bibliography system, footnotes in citations in
>     quotation blocks do not cause a halt in compilation.
>  7. With the older bibliography system, item 3 is still a problem,
>     that is, method=font appears to be inimical to the left, right,
>     and middle options for \startblockquotation without regard to the
>     bibliography system in use.

Further testing shows that the failure to compile issue (#1 and #2
above) is tied to processing @ARTICLE bib entries. The failure occurs in
and out of footnotes and startquotation blocks. I really was too deep
into a wrong view of the problem to see that before. That is pretty
clearly a bug.

The issue with method=font and left, right, middle (#3, #4, #5 above) is
still problematic. This is not tied to the bibliography system.

--
Rik