[NTG-context] Obtaining features from EBGaramond font in ConTeXt

Rik rik at panix.com
Fri Oct 23 23:33:59 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-23 16:47, josephcanedo at gmail.com wrote:
> At the moment, I use “\,” between word and question marks. Also “~”
> between word and “:”. I guess the \definecharacterspacing is more
> flexible and transparent from text input point of view (only write
> normal space). IIRC both \, and ~ also avoids line breaking at their
> location. Is there a way to specify this too please ?

The characterspacing commands can take care of it. The following example
demonstrates this (I used the value 2 just to make it clear what is
happening). It appears that alternative=1 inhibits breaks, while
alternative=0 (or leaving alternative= out completely) allows breaks. I
have not seen documentation; what I know about it comes from tests like
the example below.

    \definecharacterspacing[test]
    \setupcharacterspacing[test]["003A][left=2,alternative=1] % :
    \setupcharacterspacing[test]["003B][left=2,alternative=0] % ;
    \setupcharacterspacing[test]["00BF][right=2,alternative=0] % ¿
    \starttext
    \hsize4cm
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:\par
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :\par
    ¿xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;\par
    ¿ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ;\par
    \setcharacterspacing[test]
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:\par
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx :\par
    ¿xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx;\par
    ¿ xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ;\par
    \stoptext

(Many ConTeXt commands have a \defineABC[somename] and a
\setupABC[somename][options=…]. This can often, as is the case with
characterspacing, be shortened into one command,
\defineABC[somename][options=…], but I think not always.)

--
Rik