[NTG-context] Obtaining features from EBGaramond font in ConTeXt

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Fri Oct 23 16:23:44 CEST 2015

On 2015-10-23 03:44, josephcanedo at gmail.com wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Wondered if you could figure out what I did wrong with specifying the
> font.
> Asked question on TexExchange.org already, with samples.
>
> http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/274471/obtaining-features-from-ebgaramond-font-in-context
>
> I use texlive 2015 on Windows 8.1
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Best regards
>
> Joseph Canedo

First, some small changes to your example. Remove the enableregime
directive; ConTeXt MKIV, which you appear to be using, does not use
this. It is from ConTeXt MKII. Next, modify the definefontfeature and
definefontfamily commands as shown. (The default features for the font
are in the file type-imp-ebgaramond.mkiv.) That should be it to get started.

    \language[fr] % french hyphenation

    *\definefontfeature[myfeatures][ss02=yes,cv01=yes,cv03=yes,ss05=yes,cv91=yes]*

    *\definefontfamily[mainfont][serif][EBGaramond][features={default,myfeatures}]**
    *\setupbodyfont[mainfont, 8pt]*
    *
    \starttext

    session
    univers
    Que
    Quelconque
    Joseph
    ¶

    \stoptext

TL15 has problems with EBGaramond. The best you will get is:

With a more recent standalone version, you will get:

If you are setting older texts, you may also want to take advantage of
ConTeXt’s ability to automatically provide space before large
punctuation characters using the definecharacterspacing command.

One other note. Character variant 01 (cv01) is a very dull sword. The
rules for the use of long-ſ are much too complex for it to handle. For a
good overview of the issues, see Andrew West’s article in the TUGboat at
https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb32-1/tb100west.pdf. In my opinion you are
better off learning to insert it as needed in the text.

--
Rik