[NTG-context] PDF/UA Support

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Oct 20 09:12:03 CEST 2015

On 10/20/2015 4:35 AM, Andrew Dunning wrote:

>> On 19 Oct 2015, at 5:33 PM, Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:
>>
>> Indeed context supports tagged pdf already for a while, although only acrobat can do something with it. Making it default is not really an option as there is overhead involved (a bit more runtime and much larger filesize) that makes no sense when proofing documents and in workflows for print, but enabling is easy with
>>
>> \setuptagging[state=start]
>
> Thank you! Would it also be possible to have something to the effect of `\setupbackend[format={pdf/ua:2014}` to set up the appropriate options?

you have to discuss that with Peter Rolf as he is the one who keeps an
eye on all possible combinations of settings for pdf standards (and
checks with validators)

>> Btw, this feature relates to export to XML. Personally I wonder why this UA is such a hype, probably because publishers are reluctant to embed the document source in the pdf, which make much more sense when alternative rendering is needed.
>
> I agree that I would prefer to see PDFs given alongside good HTML, but the reality is that this will not happen for some time to come, and in the meantime PDFs remain inaccessible to anyone with a print disability (and inconvenient for the rest of us). If we can improve this situation, it is only right that we do so. If we can in the process encourage wider adoption of ConTeXt, even better.

an interesting side track would be a set of alternative styles that can
be used: b/w, larger sizes, opendyslectic fonts, etc ... so, to kind of
set a standard of producing several versions of one document