[NTG-context] Improving Pandoc Support for ConTeXt

Andrew Dunning andrew.dunning at utoronto.ca
Tue Oct 20 03:47:09 CEST 2015

Dear list,

Pandoc, if you have not heard of it before, is a rather brilliant program for converting text between different markup languages: it allows, in essence, for technology-independent writing. It has been mentioned a few times on this list, with Pablo Rodríguez recently developing a set of templates for typesetting its XHTML output (at https://github.com/ousia/from-pandoc-to-context). One of its aims is to ease the process of producing a high-quality PDF; it has the strongest support for LaTeX at the moment, but it seems to me that ConTeXt would ultimately provide a more reliable and lightweight solution. The basic support is already in place; it only needs to be more thoroughly updated to take advantage of MkIV.

I am working on improving Pandoc's generic ConTeXt template, at <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-templates/blob/master/default.context>; the initial proposal is at <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc-templates/pull/138>, which aims to show more of ConTeXt’s potential to the user through making variables available that configure its options. I am still new to ConTeXt (having used LaTeX for several years), and could not find a recent starter document. The example at <http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Detailed_Example> is from 2006, and clearly does not exhibit the system’s full potential. I would be grateful to know of any potential areas for improvement.

If you feel even more inclined to develop the Pandoc support for ConTeXt, its writer can be found at <https://github.com/jgm/pandoc/blob/master/src/Text/Pandoc/Writers/ConTeXt.hs>. In my experience, ConTeXt is much easier to use than LaTeX, but it is more difficult to get started with initially due to the lack of resources for new users; it is my hope that full support for it in Pandoc will provide one way of delving into it more deeply.

All best,

Andrew Dunning
PhD Candidate
Centre for Medieval Studies