[NTG-context] Learning about Kerning

Michael Guravage guravage at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 08:52:57 CEST 2015

Hi,

The appearance of a gap before the letter T has nothing to do with kerning
per se, but with my use of smallcaps and kerning.

I solved my problem by defining a font feature and applying it with the
\setff command as described on the wiki.

\setuplayout[header=0pt, footer=0pt]
\setupstretched[width=6.25cm]

\definefontfeature[smallcapitals] [smcp=yes]

\starttext
  \setuphead[subject][style=\setff{smallcapitals},
textstyle={\kerncharacters[.40]}]
  \startsubject[title={Properties of Blood}]
  \stopsubject

\setuphead[subject][style=\setff{smallcapitals},deeptextcommand={\kerncharacters[.40]}]
  \startsubject[title={Properties of Blood}]
  \stopsubject

\setuphead[subject][style=\setff{smallcapitals},deeptextcommand={\stretched}]
  \startsubject[title={Properties of Blood}]
  \stopsubject

\stoptext