[NTG-context] Oddity: \buildtextaccent shifts glyph right

Rik rik at panix.com
Sun Sep 6 17:27:54 CEST 2015

I am using \buildtextaccent to create a couple of characters that have
no Unicode equivalent. They are scribal abbreviations that made it into
early typesetters works. In this case, the abbreviation are for Latin
que, which looks like a q with a small ezh appended in a subscript
position, and q with an acute accent, both of which are used in some
17th century works I am dealing with. An example of the abbreviation
with the ezh and accent can be seen at
https://books.google.com/books?id=hHNVAAAAcAAJ&pg=PA6#v=onepage&q&f=false in
the sixth line of the paragraph beginning “Yea but”.

It seems that \buildtextaccent\textacute q (or \buildtextaccent´q) moves
the q to the right within the character’s bounding box. The following
example (and attached resulting pdf) demonstrates this. Lines 1 and 2
show the string with and without the \buildtextaccent, and lines 4 and 6
repeat that in italic.  The strings are the same width, but the q is
moved right. Lines 3 and 6 show a manual kerning of the q to improve
appearance.

This happens with many fonts, but not all (I do not see it with Computer
Modern). I am using Win 10Pro x64 with ConTeXt  ver: 2015.09.04 11:00
MKIV beta  fmt: 2015.9.5  int: english/english.

I suspect that this is not intended, but I am not sure.

I would also love to raise the accent a bit. Suggestions? I can live
with it as it is and manually kern as needed. There are very few
instances of these abbreviations that need to be dealt with.

    % macros=mkvi engine=luajittex

    \starttexdefinition boxWidth #STR
       \setbox0=\hbox{#STR}\the\wd0
    \stoptexdefinition

    \starttexdefinition Dicitque
       Dicitq\kern-0.070em\low{ʒ}\autoinsertnextspace
    \stoptexdefinition
    \starttexdefinition DicitqueK
       Dicit\buildtextaccent\textacute
    q\kern-0.070em\low{ʒ}\autoinsertnextspace
    \stoptexdefinition
    \starttexdefinition DicitqueKK
       Dicit\kern-0.060em\buildtextaccent\textacute
    q\kern-0.070em\low{ʒ}\autoinsertnextspace
    \stoptexdefinition

    \starttexdefinition idque
       idq\autoinsertnextspace
    \stoptexdefinition
    \starttexdefinition idqueK
       id\buildtextaccent\textacute q\autoinsertnextspace
    \stoptexdefinition
    \starttexdefinition idqueKK
       id\kern-0.060em\buildtextaccent\textacute q\autoinsertnextspace
    \stoptexdefinition

    \setupbodyfont[ebgaramond,12pt]

    \starttext
    \startitemize[n,joinedup,packed]
    \item \Dicitque \qquad\boxWidth{\Dicitque}\par
    \item \DicitqueK \qquad\boxWidth{\DicitqueK}\par
    \item \DicitqueKK \qquad\boxWidth{\DicitqueKK}\par
    \it
    \item \Dicitque \qquad\boxWidth{\Dicitque}\par
    \item \DicitqueK \qquad\boxWidth{\DicitqueK}\par
    \item \DicitqueKK \qquad\boxWidth{\DicitqueKK}\par
    \stopitemize
    \startitemize[n,joinedup,packed]
    \item \idque \qquad\boxWidth{\idque}\par
    \item \idqueK \qquad\boxWidth{\idqueK}\par
    \item \idqueKK \qquad\boxWidth{\idqueKK}\par
    \it
    \item \idque \qquad\boxWidth{\idque}\par
    \item \idqueK \qquad\boxWidth{\idqueK}\par
    \item \idqueKK \qquad\boxWidth{\idqueKK}\par
    \stopitemize

Rik