[NTG-context] \startchemical

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Aug 21 16:45:04 CEST 2015

On 8/18/2015 8:01 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Aug 2015 19:42:20 +0200
> Wolfgang Schuster <schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> why does \startchemical take the name of a instance as argument (e.g.
>> \startchemical[important]) when
>> there is no way to create it because \definechemical is redefined and
>> the original version isn’t saved.
>>
>> Even \setupchemical[important][..,..=..,..] can’t be used because it
>> doesn’t resolve the parent setting.
>
> I did not realize that \startchemical took the name of an instance as
> argument - I have only used it with key=value, i.e.:
> \startchemical[...=...]
>
> I suppose that it uses some "standard" mechanisms.
>

> \definechemical[benzene] is different. It gets used as:
>
> \startchemical
>      \chemical[benzene,...]
> \stopchemical
>

> Perhaps there is some inconsistency with respect to ConTeXt syntax here.

the issue is that we have definechemical doing something different
(compatibility) but we can do this:

in chem-str.mkiv:

% \installsimplecommandhandler \??chemical {chemical} \??chemical % no
\define...
\installcommandhandler \??chemical {chemical} \??chemical % no \define...

\let\setupchemicals \setupchemical
\let\definechemicals\definechemical

then we can do:

\starttext

\definechemicals[foo][axis=on]

\startchemical[foo]
     \chemical[SIX,ROT2,B,R6,SUB1,FIVE,ROT1,B][1]
\stopchemical