[NTG-context] Selectively supressing ligatures

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Aug 11 13:22:46 CEST 2015

On 8/11/2015 12:41 PM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
> Am 11.08.2015 um 11:46 schrieb Hans Hagen:
>> On 8/11/2015 11:12 AM, Jan U. Hasecke wrote:
>>
>>> As far as I understood selnoligs works with regular expressions (black
>>> magic!). It is very time consuming, but CPU time is cheap. ;-)
>>
>> sure but life is still short so i prefer less runtime over cheap runtime
>
> Absolutely right:
>
> LuaLaTeX run with selnoligs:
>
> real	18m39.101s
> user	18m40.335s
> sys	  0m1.624s
>

> LuaLaTeX run without selnoligs:
>
> real	11m50.577s
> user	11m51.438s
> sys	  0m1.783s
>
> But as I used pandoc in this project I had no chance to correct the
> ligatures by hand. And if I had I would have needed seven days instead
> of seven minutes more runtime.

a couple of times 7 minutes i guess -)

> But I am offtopic.

Whatever. In Context it's not that slow. In a worst case your 1000 pages
are text only which takes 17.91 sec without and 18.95 sec with
suppression enabled (0.14 s loop overhead), so some 5% extra runtime.

\replaceword[more][slffl][sl{ff}l]
\replaceword[more][slfful][sl{ff}ul]
\replaceword[more][shlfful][shl{ff}ul]
\replaceword[more][shelfful][shel{ff}ul]

\startbuffer
     \testfeatureonce{100}{
         \dorecurse{10} {
             test 1 test 2 test 3 test 4 test 5
             shelfful
             test 6 test 7 test 8 test 9 test 0
         }
         \par
     }
\stopbuffer

\starttext
     \getbuffer \page
     \setreplacements[more]
     \getbuffer
\stoptext

Btw, a 11 minutes baseline sounds like a lot to me.