[NTG-context] Arabic/Hindi numerals in layout structures (headers, page numbers, etc.)

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد Idris.Hamid at colostate.edu
Mon Aug 3 04:04:29 CEST 2015

Salaam, Talal,
See below:

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 17:32:44 -0600, talazem at fastmail.fm
<talazem at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> When typesetting in Arabic (or, for that matter, other non-Latin
> scripts), how does one get numerals to appear ‘natively’ in layout
> structures such as headers, page numbers, line-numbering, and footnote
> numbers? In the case of Arabic, this means using the so-called
> “mashriqi”, or “Arabic-Indic”/“Arabic-Hindi” numerals. Is there some
> option when defining the font family? (I would have thought that using
> “\mainlanguage[arabic]” would have done it.) Of course, I am using a
> font that contains the numbers of that script.

I'm on the move, but try these keys in the appropriate structure commands:

numberconversion=arabicnumerals
numberconversion=abjadnumerals

Failing that, a workaround is to use the m-translate module, and define a
translation for each the ten digits. But numberconversion=arabicnumerals
is supposed to work.

Wassalaam
Idris

PS \start-stopsection is now standard (\section is still there, but...)

> Mind you, if I manually type such numbers into the body of my text, they
> appear correctly. MWE below.
>
> Best wishes,
> Talal
>
> =====
> \setuppapersize[A6]
> \mainlanguage[arabic]
> \definefontfamily[mainface][serif][ALMFixed][features=arabic,range=arabic,]
> \setupbodyfont [mainface,10pt]
>
> \starttext \showframe
> \righttoleft
>
> %\setupdirections[bidi=global,method=two]
>
> \section{section one}
> \startlinenumbering
> \input ward
> \stoplinenumbering
> \footnote{I would like the footnote number — like the page number,
> section number, and linenumbers — to be in the so-called Arabic-Indic
> script.}
>
> \section{section two}
> مرحباً بالعالم. ١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩٠ مرحباً بالعالم.
> \stoptext
> =====

Idris Samawi Hamid
Professor of Philosophy