[NTG-context] Arabic/Hindi numerals in layout structures (headers, page numbers, etc.)

talazem at fastmail.fm talazem at fastmail.fm
Mon Aug 3 01:32:44 CEST 2015

Dear all,

When typesetting in Arabic (or, for that matter, other non-Latin scripts), how does one get numerals to appear ‘natively’ in layout structures such as headers, page numbers, line-numbering, and footnote numbers? In the case of Arabic, this means using the so-called “mashriqi”, or “Arabic-Indic”/“Arabic-Hindi” numerals. Is there some option when defining the font family? (I would have thought that using “\mainlanguage[arabic]” would have done it.) Of course, I am using a font that contains the numbers of that script.

Mind you, if I manually type such numbers into the body of my text, they appear correctly. MWE below.

Best wishes,
Talal

=====
\setuppapersize[A6]
\mainlanguage[arabic]
\definefontfamily[mainface][serif][ALMFixed][features=arabic,range=arabic,]
\setupbodyfont [mainface,10pt]

\starttext \showframe
\righttoleft

%\setupdirections[bidi=global,method=two]

\section{section one}
\startlinenumbering
\input ward
\stoplinenumbering
\footnote{I would like the footnote number — like the page number, section number, and linenumbers — to be in the so-called Arabic-Indic script.}

\section{section two}
مرحباً بالعالم. ١٢٣٤٥٦٧٨٩٠ مرحباً بالعالم.
\stoptext
=====