[NTG-context] ending every paragraph

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد Idris.Hamid at colostate.edu
Sun Aug 2 13:36:29 CEST 2015

Hi Alan,

On Sun, 02 Aug 2015 01:11:38 -0600, Alan BRASLAU <alan.braslau at cea.fr>
wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Aug 2015 17:35:38 -0600
> Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد <Idris.Hamid at colostate.edu> wrote:
>
>> Suppose I want to end the last line of every paragraph with a
>> command, say, \thinrule, or a string of dots. Is there a
>> straightforward way to do that? TeX has \everypar but I'm not aware
>> of any, say, \endeverypar command.
>
> Hello Idris,
>
> I would think that your only hope in this case would be through the use
> of \startparagraph \stopparagraph, for otherwise TeX does not know
> where a paragraph is to end (only where one begins, through an explicit
> \par or through an implicit blank line).
>
> My guess, untested, would be \setupparagraph[after=\thinrule]

I actually tried that before sending the note to the list. It doesn't
work; if it is supposed to work then I guess it's a bug.

Of course, using \start-stopparagraph is much more verbose than simply
adding a control sequence at the end of each par.

It's also curious that, for all its power, TeX has no straightforward way
to recognize paragraph endings. But I'll bet Hans could figure out a way
to do it in lua.

On the other hand, this is not a priority at this juncture; more
experimental.

Thanks, Alan, and

Best wishes
Idris