[NTG-context] Solved, was Re: Register customization for backmatter page numbers

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Sat Aug 1 20:42:47 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-01 13:54, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Hi Rik,
>
> sorry for top-posting, but I’m not sure whether I understand your request.
>
> I wonder whether the following sample points in the right direction:
>
>      \setuppapersize[A6]
>      \setuppagenumber[way=bypart, prefix=yes, prefixset=chapter]
>      \startsectionblockenvironment[bodypart]
>          \setuppagenumber[number=1]
>      \stopsectionblockenvironment
>      \startsectionblockenvironment[appendix]
>          \setuppagenumber[number=1]
>      \stopsectionblockenvironment
>      \starttext
>      \completecontent
>      \startbodymatter
>      \dorecurse{5}{\chapter{Chapter}\recurselevel\index{bar}}
>      \stopbodymatter
>      \startappendices
>      \dorecurse{5}{\chapter{Appendix}\recurselevel\index{foo}}
>      \title{Index}
>      \placeindex
>      \stopappendices
>      \stoptext
>
> Just in case it helps,
>
> Pablo
>

> On 08/01/2015 04:20 AM, Rik wrote:
>> List,
>>
>> I have a book with frontmatter, bodymatter, and backmatter. The
>> frontmatter is pagenumbered with lc roman, and the bodymatter and
>> backmatter are numbered, all by block.
>>
>> The backmatter contain a glossary, pagenotes, bibliography, and an
>> index. In addition to the frontmatter and the bodymatter, both the
>> glossary and the pagenotes contain items that are indexed.
>>
>> I need to distinguish pagenumbers that appear in the index so that the
>> reader can identify where in the book the page is located. For the
>> frontmatter, that is not a problem. For items that appear in the
>> bodymatter or backmatter, however, page numbers are not unique.
>>
>> One method that has been suggested is to prefix the pagenumber displayed
>> in the index with a mark to indicate that the page is in the backmatter,
>> or to italicize it, or to use an alternate font. I have looked at the
>> defineconversionset and defineprocessor documentation and find no way to
>> mark index entries appropriately.
>>
>> Can anyone suggest a way to do this, or some other method? Perhaps a
>> pagecommand that compares the register item real page number to the
>> highest real page number of the body? I would prefer a solution that
>> does not require changing the register commands (\index) in the text.
>>
>> Continuous numbering across the frontmatter, bodymatter, and backmatter
>> is not wanted, although as a last resort I might be able to argue for
>> continuous numbering in the bodymatter and backmatter.
Thank you, Pablo. That does meet the requirements as stated, but having
the chapter number as a prefix for the body entries is overly verbose
and will not pass muster. (Failure of my specifications.)

I have found a solution, however. By placing these in the environment:

    \defineprocessor[Back][style=slanted,right=n]
    \defineprocessor[Front][style=normal]
    \def\Where{Front}
    \def\Index{\index[\Where->]}

And this at the start of the backmatter:

    \def\Where{Back}

I can index items with \Index{item} and the value of \Where when the
entry is processed will be used. This meets the requirement that no
change to the indexing is required in the text (except to change \index
to \Index), and I can further distinguish notes from glossary entries if
needed. I could even eliminate that last change by defining my own
register Index and using \def\index{\Index[\Where->] (and an appropriate
\placeregister).

I still haven't played with this a lot, so I don't know yet if it will
handle all the optional bits of register entries, but it should suffice
for my current needs.

--
Rik