[NTG-context] r2l alignment and linenumbering conflict?

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد Idris.Hamid at colostate.edu
Sat Aug 1 20:35:06 CEST 2015

Dear Talal,
Salaam.

Your tex file linertl.tex appears to be corrupted, could you either repost
it or send it to me off list?

I was also going to write something similar to Pablo. My suggestion is to
move forward with the rest of your project and this will almost certainly
be solved before you're done. Unless Hans says that there is no chance of
a fix, which I *highly* doubt. Send a reminder to the list every few days
or so, as you did today.

Proceeding this way produces an uneasy feeling; believe me, I know. But
I've been in your shoes more times than I can count and it always worked
out in the end.

Best wishes
Idris

On Sat, 01 Aug 2015 09:37:57 -0600, talazem at fastmail.fm
<talazem at fastmail.fm> wrote:

> Sorry to pester, but this problem is barring me from moving my book
> project into ConTeXt this weekend.
>
> The use of linenumbers seems to throw off the R2L mechanism. Example of
> the problem attached.
>

>> On 30 Jul 2015, at 16:30, talazem at fastmail.fm wrote:
>>
>> There seems to be some limitation (or bug) in right-to-left (r2l)
>> alignment, when used alongside linenumbering. Consider the following:
>>
>>> \setuppapersize[A6]
>>> \starttext \showframe
>>>
>>> \section{Incorrect}
>>> \startlinenumbering
>>> \startalignment[r2l]
>>> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque
>>> molestie dictum quam non congue. Integer ut dolor vel mi vestibulum
>>> molestie vel et nulla.
>>> \stopalignment
>>> \stoplinenumbering
>>>
>>> \section{Correct}
>>> \startalignment[r2l]
>>> Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Pellentesque
>>> molestie dictum quam non congue. Integer ut dolor vel mi vestibulum
>>> molestie vel et nulla.
>>> \stopalignment
>>>
>>> \stoptext
>>
>> The RTL alignment works correctly on its own. However, when you
>> introduce another factor — here,  linenumbers — the RTL alignment is
>> ignored.
>>
>> Perhaps this linked to the problem with of RTL footnotes being
>> discussed here: gmane.comp.tex.context/92113
>> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.tex.context/92113>?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Talal

Idris Samawi Hamid