[NTG-context] Problem with definelabel and footnotes

Rik Kabel context at rik.users.panix.com
Tue Jul 28 04:08:48 CEST 2015

I have a document with hundreds of labels generated by \definelabel.
They are used to index quotations in the text. Some of these occur in
notes. Previously I had all such notes at the end of the book, as
endnotes, but an editor requested a version with the notes as
traditional footnotes. When the notes with labels appear in footnotes,
the labels are not printed. The MWE below demonstrates the problem. I
would expect to see a red 2 at the end of the first line of the footnote.

I have tried to use \defineenumeration instead of \definelabel, but I
cannot get a comparable result to what I have with definelabel.

Is this a bug in the footnote typesetting, or a problem with my
expectations?

    \setuppapersize[A6]
    \definelabel   [Qi][text=,alternative=inright,headcolor=red]
    \definenote    [pagenote]
    \setupnotation [pagenote][way=bypage,numberconversion=set 2]
    \definenote    [endnote]
    \setupnotation [endnote][way=bytext,location=none,conversion=numbers]
    \starttext
       {\Qi}An index in the margin.\par
       Text with a numbered endnote with an index\endnote{%
         {\Qi}The numbered endnote with its index. The numbered endnote
              with its index. The numbered endnote with its index.%
       } and a marked pagenote with an index.\pagenote{%
         {\Qi}The marked pagenote, but where is the index? The marked
              pagenote, but where is the index? The marked pagenote, but
              where is the index?%
       }\par
    \page
       The endnote follows.\par