[NTG-context] Math literal colon

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jul 24 15:29:19 CEST 2015

On 7/24/2015 2:32 PM, Hans Aberg wrote:
> [Note: I use the cc to know that I have received a reply.]

>>> It would be nice with such an option, as it helps the readability of the input files.
>>
>> already for some years i'm thinking of something similar to openmath dictionaries i.e. in many cases when one writes math it is in some field that is consistent within a document, say logic or engineering
>>
>> it is rather trivial to support something
>>
>> \setupmathematics[domain=logic]
>>
>> or so, where we automatically relate the math class with the symbols used, something that becomes more important once we start coding in unicode instead of using names
>>
>> but ... in order to provide this, i need information about useful categories
>
> Unicode provides one such category. The reason is all math characters are added and in that process analyzed. I worked with Taco on that in the late 1990s.
>
> So one main option, which might be the simplest, to assume that the input is UTF-8. Oen can the added ASCII command names, based on the Unicode names. In addition some options for special needs and legacy.

i don't understand what you mean as the issue is not unicode or ascii
but categorizing symbols in classes

when we have a symbol in the input (can be a : but also something else)
in some cases it is a binary but in other cases a relation or whatever

this influences the spacing and the 'domain' (or dictionaries) group
symbols so that we can assign the right properties

entering a utf sequence representing 0x2236 still doesn't always
prescribe what mathclass it is, 0x22A5 0x22C5 0x25B3 are examples of
such dual face characters

(this is actually more important in for instance xml input)