[NTG-context] reverse page order and reverse page numbering in one part of a book

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Fri Jul 24 12:18:25 CEST 2015

On 7/22/2015 3:47 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
> On Wed, 22 Jul 2015 14:54:17 +0200
> "Thomas A. Schmitz" <thomas.schmitz at uni-bonn.de> wrote:
>
>> On 07/22/2015 02:45 PM, Alan BRASLAU wrote:
>>> The
>>> project/product/component mechanism can help somewhat. I also know
>>> that Thomas had written a streams module to handle the
>>> synchronization of texts. However, I am not so sure how to go about
>>> this in a real, full-fledged case with a complicated text.
>>
>> Correction: "Thomas had a streams module written (by Hans)." I used
>> it for a bilingual document for my course material, but in the end,
>> it turned out that using it for a "real" book would have been
>> extremely complex. In my field, there are numerous books with a
>> bilingual layout, but I guess they are all still handcrafted, i.e.
>> manual page breaks etc. I just shudder to think what would happen if
>> someone has to add three words on page 3 of such a book - they would
>> have to redo every single darn pagebreak?
>
> There are several different issues. Synchronization can be
> line-by-line, paragraph-by-paragraph, sectionblock-by-sectionblock...
> or, as is the case with the posting of this thread, part-by-part (i.e.
> halves). The different "products" in multiple languages might only be
> "synchronized" by structure, not by rendering at all.
>
> Maybe Mari (and others) have regular experience in managing
> multilingual documents and maintaining them under modification. And I
> bring up this issue under the present thread as managing left-to-right
> mixed with right-to-left text is a further complication that Idris (and
> others) address regularly.

To some extend we can typeset in parallel but only with properly
structured input (and xml is then probably the best candidate). Anyway I
think that the editing is the bottleneck: how does one most conveniently
edit in parallel? We might need to think about that first: the
typeseting component should adapt, convenient editing is core issue.