[NTG-context] Accessibility and Tagged PDFs: Bugs and Feature Requests

luigi scarso luigi.scarso at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 10:32:29 CEST 2015

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 12:59 PM, Dr. Dominik Klein <
Dominik.Klein at outlook.com> wrote:

> Context is the only Tex-based system that allows to properly tag a pdf.
> Tagged PDFs are one major requirement for accessibility.
>
> Indeed, in several large organizations/universities, accessibility is
> mandated by law, and this is a major obstacle for using Tex. In practice
> compliance is often assessed with Acrobat Pro's
> accessibility checker.
>
> Context produces a nice tag-structure, but there are some minor issues
> that prevent compliance to [1], and hence Acrobat Pro complains during the
> check. The main issues are:
>
> 1.) Elements that are not contained in the structure tree are not marked
> as an artifact. Consider this example:
>
> -------------------------------
> \setuptagging[state=start]
>
> \setuppagenumbering
> [location=,
>  alternative=doublesided]
>
> \setupheadertexts
>   [{Chapter~\getmarking[chapternumber]\hskip1em\getmarking[chapter]}]
>   [{Header Right}]
>   [{Header Left}]
>   [{Chapter~\getmarking[chapternumber]\hskip1em\getmarking[chapter]}]
>
> \setupfootertexts
>   [Organization Name]
>   [pagenumber]
>   [pagenumber]
>   [Organization Name]
>
> \starttext
> \startfrontmatter
> something
> \stopfrontmatter
>
> \startbodymatter
> some more text here
> \stopbodymatter
> \stoptext
> -------------------------------
>
> Header, footer, pagenumber etc. will not be included in the tag structure.
> Of course this makes absolutely sense and is correct, however according to
> Section 14.8.2.2.2 of [1], then this content that is not in the structure
> tree should be marked as an artifact, i.e.
>
> /Artifact
>   BMC
>   ..
>   EMC
>
> or in an advanced way with /Artifact PropertyList where the type of
> Artifact can be defined. It would be nice if those elements that are not
> included in the tag tree would be marked as artifacts by default. The same
> holds for \startelement[ignore] when one wants to explicitly remove
> something from the structure tree.
>
> 2.) Images without alternate text:
> According to Section 14.9.3 of [1], alternate descriptions in human
> readable text should be provided for images. It would be really helpful,
> if these could be defined in the source tex file, and then automatically
> added when creating the object in the structure tree. I.e. it would be
> nice to have something like:
>
> \placefigure[top][Image Reference]{Caption}{
> \externalfigure[cow.pdf][width=10cm][alternate text = "This images shows a
> beautiful cow."]
> }

> [...]

Thank you for the report .
It would be nice to have a pdf made by context using \nopdfcompression
that have all these issues together with the report emitted by acrobat.
Last time I have checked a pfd/a-1a made by context it was all ok, but it
was time ago and maybe not
all the features were tested deeply.

--
luigi