[NTG-context] Virtual font question

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Tue Jun 23 05:57:48 CEST 2015

On Tue, 23 Jun 2015, Zhichu Chen wrote:

> I was trying to use the Math Times Pro 2 fonts in ConTeXt MKIV. This
> Type1 font contains a map file, a set of pfb files and the corresponding
> tfm files. I was managed to write a .lfg file and a type-imp-xxx file,
> but here's my problem.

I don't have the fonts, so I cannot describe the exact method. But see
below and also have a look at Section 5 of
https://www.tug.org/TUGboat/tb30-2/tb95mahajan-cmath.pdf The description
is old, and some of the file locations have changes, but the basic
infrastructure is still the same.

> The font comes with three different sizes, the virtual fonts in my .lfg
> file look like:
>         virtuals = {
>             ["mtpro06a-regular"] = {
>                 { name = "file:texgyretermes-regular.otf", features =
> "virtualmath", main = true },
>                 { name = "mt2mif.tfm", vector = "mtpro2-mi",
> skewchar=0x7F },
[...]
>             },

The vectors mptpro2-mi etc are not defined. Look at math-ttv.lua for a
list of predefined vectors (mapping type1 fonts to unicode symbols. It is
quite likely that the mtpro fonts would follow the "standard" mappings; if
not, you will need to create an approrpriate mapping for each font. This
is not difficult (just monotonous).

> I guess the suffixes "f" "s" and "t" may correspond to "five" "seven"
> and "ten", but that's
> not important. I could use one of them as the virtual font in the
> typescript:

Once this is done, rest of the typescript should work. It may be a good
idea to try to see if you can get roman letters from mtpro.

Aditya