[NTG-context] \math or $ doesn't work.

Otared Kavian otared at gmail.com
Tue Jun 2 22:16:59 CEST 2015

> On 02 Jun 2015, at 21:08, John Culleton <John at wexfordpress.com> wrote:
> […]
> Everything works. But there is
> something wrong with my math code. There is no
> horizontal bar between the 1 and the 2.  I guess
> I will study "The TEXbook" some more.

Hi John,

It is a good idea to read again The TeXBook, but actually I wonder why should TeX put a horizontal line between 1 and 2 in your code?
What you are typesetting in mathmode is just 8 followed by 1 in exponent (uppserscript) and 2 in subscript, therefore there shouldn’t be any fraction bar between 1 and 2.

If the font you use has the character, what you want to typeset is the character U+00BD for 1/2 or, if you want to use mathmode, either of the solutions below (wtach the slight differences between the three versions):

\starttext
$8\tfrac{1}{2} × 11$ inch

$8\frac{1}{2} × 11$ inch

$8{1 \over 2} × 11$ inch

\stoptext

Indeed you can replace $…$ with \math{…}.

Best regards: OK