[NTG-context] Splitting a combination of figures (also a philosophical question)

Kate F kate at elide.org
Thu May 21 00:48:26 CEST 2015

On 20 May 2015 at 15:43, Mojca Miklavec <mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> This is not strictly a ConTeXt question.
>
> I have two almost identical figures which I want to display one after
> the other. Ideally that would be on the same page with the combination
> of both having a single figure number (and possibly the two individual
> figures having labels (a) and (b), but that's not strictly required).
>
> However if the page breaks are not favourable, it would be OK to split
> the two figures, so that one ends up on the bottom of the previous
> page and the second one on the top of the new page.

If your figures are almost identical, I would avoid this at all costs
- unless the figures would be on facing (recto and verso) pages. In my
view, it would be less confusing to have both figures on their own
page - assuming both can fit on a page. Make that page landscape if
necessary.

An alternate approach would be to have your figures in situ, but to
inset a small thumbnail-sized graphic showing the important part of
the other image (i.e. zoomed in), so that the reader can see what's
different.

--
Kate