[NTG-context] Splitting a combination of figures (also a philosophical question)

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed May 20 16:43:32 CEST 2015

Hello,

This is not strictly a ConTeXt question.

I have two almost identical figures which I want to display one after
the other. Ideally that would be on the same page with the combination
of both having a single figure number (and possibly the two individual
figures having labels (a) and (b), but that's not strictly required).

However if the page breaks are not favourable, it would be OK to split
the two figures, so that one ends up on the bottom of the previous
page and the second one on the top of the new page.

I could use two separate figure numbers, but then I would need to
change the text that references the figures (and when the layout
changes, so that I would figure out that both figures would eventually
fit on a single page, I would have to change the text again).

Is there any reasonable (and acceptable) solution to that? One option
would be to have
    "Figure 1.5a: description"
on the first page and
    "Figure 1.5b: description"
on the second page while a reference to the figure would still show
"Figure 1.5", but I'm not sure if this is doable.

I would like to hear if anyone had a similar "challenge" and what
solution you used.

Mojca