[NTG-context] simplefonts vs typescripts

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Wed May 13 18:56:04 CEST 2015

On 5/13/2015 6:09 PM, david.boerschlein at juno.com wrote:
> I am still not able to set up the Noto fonts due mostly to sketchy/lack-of documentation on setting up ConTeXt fonts.
>
> I understand I need to set up typescripts but do not understand the syntax and/or semantics of the different commands and how to map the font names/paths (otf and ttf files) to reference them in the typescripts.   I would like to create a utility that will create the typescript file for MKIV from the otf/ttf files themselves.
>
> Please provide me with any help/documentation.

In addition to wolfgangs mail: there is not much science involved in
typescripts, just take another type-imp-*.mkiv file as example ...

type-imp-noto.mkiv :

\starttypescriptcollection[noto]

     \starttypescript [serif] [noto] [name]
         \setups[font:fallback:serif]
         \definefontsynonym
            [Serif]
            [file:notowhatever.ttf]
            [features=default]
         \definefontsynonym [SerifBold]
            [file:notowhateverbold.ttf]
            [features=default]
         \definefontsynonym
            [SerifItalic]
            [file:notowhateveritalic.ttf]
            [features=default]
         \definefontsynonym
           [SerifBoldItalic]
           [file:notowhateverbolditalic.ttf]
           [features=default]
     \stoptypescript

     \starttypescript[noto]
         \definetypeface [noto] [rm] [serif] [noto]   [default]
         \definetypeface [noto] [ss] [sans]  [dejavu] [default]
         \definetypeface [noto] [tt] [mono]  [dejavu] [default]
         \definetypeface [noto] [mm] [math]  [times]  [default]
     \stoptypescript

\stoptypescriptcollection

\setupbodyfont[noto]

You need to figure out the right filenames yourself (not that hard as
you downloaded them I assume). But simplefonts is less lines of code and
you only need such a typescript if you want to have long term guarantees
(as it depends less on heuristics)