[NTG-context] Changing font for math function

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun May 10 19:22:32 CEST 2015

On 5/10/2015 2:19 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:
> On Sun, 10 May 2015, Hans Hagen wrote:

>>> \sin etc should not behave like \text{...}. \text should adapt to the
>>> surrounding style while \mathoptext should not. In particular, in the
>>> following
>>>
>>>    {\ss $\sin x$}
>>>    {\bf $\sin x$}
>>>
>>> \sin should be in normal text upright font and not adapted to the
>>> surrounded
>>> text.
>>>
>>> Is it possible to set a value of functionstyle so that the surrounding
>>> text font
>>> styles are ignored (but the font size is not).
>>
>> does
>>
>> \setupmathematics
>>   [functionstyle=\normalrm,
>>    functioncolor=red]
>>
>> work ok? (\rm is redefined in math mode so we need the outer one)
>>
>> we could have some keywords for this if needed
>
> No. Consider
>
> \setupmathematics
>     [functionstyle=\normalrm,
>      functioncolor=]
>
> \setuphead[section][style=bold]
>
> \starttext
> \section{$\sin^2 x$}
>
> {\ss $\sin^2 x$}
>
> {\bf $\sin x$}
>
> {\it $\sin x$}
>
> \startformula
>    f = \sin i\omega x
> \stopformula
> \stoptext
>
> Ideally,
>
> 1. The default should be \mathupright (old behavior)
>
> 2. The user should have the option to change the font to \normalrm,
> \normalss (or \normalrmbf and \normalssbf for titles).
>
> In both cases, the style should not be affected by surrounding styles.

next beta: when one of the stylealternatives text mode else mathmode
(default nothing == mathupright)

\starttext

\setupmathematics[functionstyle=,functioncolor=darkred]

{\ss $\sin x$} {\bf $\sin x$}

\setupmathematics[functionstyle=sansbold,functioncolor=darkblue]

{\ss $\sin x$} {\bf $\sin x$}

\setupmathematics[functionstyle=roman,functioncolor=darkgreen]

{\ss $\sin x$} {\bf $\sin x$}