[NTG-context] Changing font for math function

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Sun May 10 14:19:54 CEST 2015

On Sun, 10 May 2015, Hans Hagen wrote:

> On 5/9/2015 4:16 PM, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

>>> Thanks. This works correctly on a small test. I will test this more
>>> thoroughly.
>>
>> \sin etc should not behave like \text{...}. \text should adapt to the
>> surrounding style while \mathoptext should not. In particular, in the
>> following
>>
>>    {\ss $\sin x$}
>>    {\bf $\sin x$}
>>
>> \sin should be in normal text upright font and not adapted to the
>> surrounded
>> text.
>>
>> Is it possible to set a value of functionstyle so that the surrounding
>> text font
>> styles are ignored (but the font size is not).
>
> does
>
> \setupmathematics
>   [functionstyle=\normalrm,
>    functioncolor=red]
>
> work ok? (\rm is redefined in math mode so we need the outer one)
>
> we could have some keywords for this if needed

No. Consider

\setupmathematics
    [functionstyle=\normalrm,
     functioncolor=]

\setuphead[section][style=bold]

\starttext
\section{$\sin^2 x$}

{\ss $\sin^2 x$}

{\bf $\sin x$}

{\it $\sin x$}

\startformula
   f = \sin i\omega x
\stopformula
\stoptext

Ideally,

1. The default should be \mathupright (old behavior)

2. The user should have the option to change the font to \normalrm,
\normalss (or \normalrmbf and \normalssbf for titles).

In both cases, the style should not be affected by surrounding styles.

Aditya