[NTG-context] Changing font for math function

Aditya Mahajan adityam at umich.edu
Sat May 9 16:16:30 CEST 2015

On Sat, 9 May 2015, Aditya Mahajan wrote:

> On Sat, 9 May 2015, Hans Hagen wrote:
>
>> i've added (uploading beta now)
>>
>> \setupmathematics
>>   [functionstyle=\ss,
>>    functioncolor=red]
>>
>> \starttext
>> \startformula
>>   f = \sin i\omega x^{\sin(x^{\sin(y)})}
>> \stopformula
>> \stoptext
>>
>> best test this because Mojca will at some point push into tex live (at
>> which moment we have a current)
>
> Thanks. This works correctly on a small test. I will test this more
> thoroughly.

\sin etc should not behave like \text{...}. \text should adapt to the
surrounding style while \mathoptext should not. In particular, in the
following

   {\ss $\sin x$}
   {\bf $\sin x$}

\sin should be in normal text upright font and not adapted to the surrounded
text.

Is it possible to set a value of functionstyle so that the surrounding text font
styles are ignored (but the font size is not).

I realize that this takes us back to the old 'bold-math-in-section-heads'
debate. With the current implementation:

     \setuphead[section][style=bold]
     \section{$\sin x$}

sin is bold, and if you implement the change that I am suggesting, then \sin
will not be bold in section titles. If someone prefers \sin to be bolded in
section headers, he would have to add \setupmathematics[functionstyle=\bf] in
the section style as well.

Aditya