[NTG-context] Newbie needs help getting started

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Mon May 4 18:37:38 CEST 2015

On 5/4/2015 5:14 PM, Mojca Miklavec wrote:

> But the weird thing is that "Fatal format file error; I'm stymied"
> error was common with pdfTeX. With ConTeXt MkIV the formats are
> usually regenerated automatically.

It's not that weird: pdftex etc have no check on the format so if for
instance a new primitive an old format will crash the new tex. For that
reason we added a compatibility version number to luatex (starting at
asciisum("DEK") to test to luatex format loading that will quit when
that number jumped .. we're now one version further down the line. So
... a quit instead of a crash. So, if pdftex would add a primitive it
doesn't give that message but either crashes or runs on with the wrong
mem undump.