[NTG-context] alternative numerical \cite command

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Mon May 4 18:14:46 CEST 2015

On Mon, 4 May 2015 17:54:31 +0200
Csikos Bela <bcsikos425 at freemail.hu> wrote:

> I could set up superscript citation for numerical citation based on
> contextgarden bibliography page example.

A MKII hack...

> >Let me understand, though.
> >Do you want to mix\high{1} citations with [1] citations?
> >That would be rather strange, stylistically.
>
> Yes, but in tables I don't want to put superscript citations.

OK, thanks for explaining this use.

> >There is a predefined second num cite variant \cite[textnum][tag].
> >It's use is intended to produce something like ref. 1, to be used
> >syntactically in a sentence, in conjunction with standard num
> >references. [1] This is just num setup with
> >[left={ref.\nbsp},right=].
>
> I guess this command would fit my needs after some editing.
> Unfortunately my context version doesn't have this command.
>
> Using \cite[textnum][tag] simply outputs "[tag]".
>
> Either I should update my context to newer (beta?), which I don't
> know how to do, or define the command in the document. I'd prefer the
> latter one, if feasible.

You are using the MKII code. It takes the syntax
\cite[alternative]{key} which is very intolerant of spacing
and the newer module has abandoned this LaTeX style in favor of
\cite[key] and \cite[alternative][key]

I recommend that you stick with the MKII module/code for now as we have
not yet entirely stabilized the new dataset code.

Alan