[NTG-context] ConTeXt installation problem with Windows 8.1

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Wed Apr 29 11:30:18 CEST 2015

On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 11:18 AM, Procházka Lukáš Ing. - Pontex s. r. o. wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Apr 2015 18:07:58 +0200, Jaroslav Hajtmar <hajtmar at gyza.cz>
> wrote:
>
>> Hello ConTeXist.
>> I tried to install standalone ConTeXt (64 bit. Version) into the new
>> installation of Windows 8.1 During installation, I encounter a message about
>> missing DLL library (at first MSVCR100.DLL, after insert this library next
>> error message.). Does anyone have a similar experience? respectively. How do
>> I install Windows ConTeXt to 8.1
>> Thanks. Jaroslav Hajtmar
>

> although the following solution for Ctx installation is "ad-hoc", not
> systematic, it should solve your problem:
> add the missing MSVC libraries from "MS Redistributable Package":
>
> https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/8kche8ah(v=vs.100).aspx
>
> The problem appears time-to-time to end users and not to program developers,
> as MS Visual Studio includes/installs the required DLLs (which are part of
> "Redist. Pack.") automatically (so it works for developers).
>
> And then, an end user may need to install the missing DLLs manually.
> (When a SW has an installer, it often handles this step automatically.)

If our ConTeXt distribution is missing those files, then *I* need to
add them to the distribution. This problem usually happens when Akira
switches to a newer MSVC and unless someone complains, I never know
that new files have to be added as I never use Windows.

We can discuss the fix off-list.

Mojca