[NTG-context] Problem with margin figures and whitespace in text

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Sun Apr 26 20:01:00 CEST 2015

On 4/26/2015 3:32 AM, Rik Kabel wrote:
> I have two problems with figures placed into the left or right margin.
> When the figure is in a group, extra whitespace is inserted between the
> paragraphs that precede and follow the placefigure command. This happens
> for figures placed by startplacefigure/stopplacefigure and tradiitonal
> placefigure commands, and paragraphs placed by
> startparagraph/stopparagraph or marked by par or newlines.
>
> When the figure is not in a group, whitespace called for by
> \setupwhitespace is lost, except when the paragraphs are marked by
> traditional means. That is, whitespace is lost when
> startparagraph/stopparagraph is used.
>
> Interestingly, when that is changed to bpar/epar, the problem for
> ungrouped figures disappears, but as I understand it, bpar/epar is not a
> real substitute for startparagraph/stopparagraph.
>
> There is probably a simple explanation, but it eludes me. I prefer to be
> able to use startparagraph/stopparagraph, and it is sometimes desirable
> to place a figure into a group in order to prevent unique settings from
> leaking out.

you can test with this in cont-new.mkiv

\unprotect

\def\page_sides_inject_dummy_lines
   {\begingroup
    \scratchcounter\pageshrink
    \divide\scratchcounter \baselineskip
    \advance\scratchcounter \plusone
    \parskip\zeropoint
    \dorecurse\scratchcounter{\hbox to \hsize{}}%
    \kern-\scratchcounter\baselineskip
    \penalty\zerocount
    \endgroup}

\def\page_sides_prepare_space