[NTG-context] Feature request for export: Interactive Notes

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Sat Apr 25 02:36:12 CEST 2015

Dear gang,

  I've spent a considerable amount of time over the past month trying to
  master the art of xhtml output. We are close to being able to use ConTeXt
  as a replacement for markdown in, e.g., WordPress. Indeed, I plan to
  present the results of this experiment (porting an entire academic article
  to xhtml and WP) in a future article for one of the TeX journals...

  There is at least one crucial feature that's still needed. Perhaps it is
  already supported: If so, it would be much appreciated if someone kindly
  explained how to do it.

  In a web post (or epub), one wants to be able to interact back and forth
  with notes. Here is how markdown (extra) does it:

  ========Input========
  That's some text with a footnote.[^1]

  [^1]: And that's the footnote.

        That's the second paragraph of the note.

  More main text
  ========Output========

  <hr />
  <ol>
  <li id="fn:1">
  rev="footnote">↩</a></p>
  </li>
  </ol>
  =====================

  The resulting html file is attached. '↩' corresponds to U+21A9 (↩).
  See also

https://michelf.ca/projects/php-markdown/extra/#footnotes

  Now we can of course already export xhtml footnotes from ConTeXt but there
  will be no interactive links. In the current project, there are 77
  footnotes; I had to add the links manually to get the output to do what we
  wanted.

  [Also note that it makes much more sense to export the footnotes as
  endnotes, particularly for long blog posts.]

  Is there already a way to get done automatically?

  In any case: This feature is a must-do in my humble opinion. Aside from a
  few other export bugs, this is one of the few features still needed so
  that ConTeXt can completely replace markdown for (advanced) web posts.
  Thanks is advance and

  Best wishes
  Idris

--