[NTG-context] vertical spacing and makeups

Pablo Rodriguez oinos at gmx.es
Sat Apr 18 18:43:49 CEST 2015

Dear list,

I have the following sample:

    \showgrid
    \setupinteraction[option=max]
    \setuppapersize[S6]
    \setuppagenumbering[location=]
    \setupbodyfont[100pt]
    \setupwhitespace[big]
    \startsetups[setups:slides]
        \setupwhitespace[big]
    \stopsetups
    \setupmakeup[pagestate=start]
    \definemakeup[slides][setups=setups:slides]
    \definemakeup[slide]
    \starttext
    \startmakeup[slides]\ConTeXt\stopmakeup
    \startmakeup[slide]\ConTeXt\stopmakeup
    \page\ConTeXt
    \startmakeup[slides]program\stopmakeup
    \startmakeup[slides]descender\stopmakeup
    \startmakeup[slide]program\stopmakeup
    \startmakeup[slide]descender\stopmakeup
    \page program
    \page descender
    \stoptext

The first page shows that \setupwhitespace[big] affects to a single line
in a makeup. Shouldn’t white space be added only between paragraphs? The
second page is right vertically centered. And the third page shows that
the white space isn’t added before the first paragraph in a normal page
(no makeup).

This is the first issue, isn’t it a bug? Or what am I missing?

The second issue is about the line height. If I didn’t get it wrong from
Hans some days ago, line height is the x-height, plus ascender and
descender heights.

In vertical centering for makeups, why does ascender or descender height
affect to basline position? Sorry, but this is a problem for
readability. And it think it is better to center the line instead than a
group of glyphs.

Or am I missing something in this second issue too?

Many thanks for your help,

Pablo
--
http://www.ousia.tk