[NTG-context] wrong vertical spacing in latest beta

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Thu Apr 16 22:38:56 CEST 2015

On 4/16/2015 10:20 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> On 04/16/2015 09:51 PM, Hans Hagen wrote:
>> On 4/16/2015 6:50 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
>>> [...]
>>> I’m afraid it might be a bug.
>>
>> hm, more likely a fix (prevdepth or so)
>>
>> \startbuffer[a]
>>       \ruledvbox{x\tfa \setupinterlinespace \strut \ConTeXt     \par
>> \strut x\par}\blank
>>       \ruledvbox{x\tfxx\setupinterlinespace \strut Author       \par
>> \strut x\par}\blank
>>       \ruledvbox{x\tfxx\setupinterlinespace \strut \currentdate \par
>> \strut x\par}\blank
>>       \ruledvbox{x\tf  \setupinterlinespace \strut url          \par
>> \strut x\par}\blank
>> \stopbuffer
>>
>> \startbuffer[b]
>>       \ruledvbox{x\tfa \setupinterlinespace        \ConTeXt     \par
>> x\par}\blank
>>       \ruledvbox{x\tfxx\setupinterlinespace        Author       \par
>> x\par}\blank
>>       \ruledvbox{x\tfxx\setupinterlinespace        \currentdate \par
>> x\par}\blank
>>       \ruledvbox{x\tf  \setupinterlinespace        url          \par
>> x\par}\blank
>> \stopbuffer
>>
>> \starttext
>>       \showstruts
>>       \getbuffer[a]
>>       \page
>>       \getbuffer[b]
>> \stoptext
>>
>> you can use use \begstrut ... \endstrut in such local situations
>
> Many thanks for your help, Hans.
>
> I have seen strut in the past, but I’m afraid that I don’t know what it
> may be or what I can use it for (besides your sample).

tex has no built-in concept of lineheight and depth only of distance

so, if you want consistency you need to make sure the first line has
height and the last line depth

for normal running text this goes ok (thanks to baselineskip being the
sum of wanted height and depth)

but ... as soon as you start boxing you need to make sure you enforce
the proper ht and dp is needed

\begstrut ... \endstrut

can be used for that

most mechanisnm in context deal with this themselves (for instance
framed and tables .. tables would look horrible otherwise)

(try \showstruts before \starttext so see where \struts are used)