[NTG-context] Index items

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Wed Apr 15 18:58:13 CEST 2015

On Tue, 14 Apr 2015 18:50:49 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 4/14/2015 1:48 PM, Robert Blackstone wrote:
> > Dear all,
> >
> > The book I am typesetting contains a very extensive and detailed
> > index. The number of index items is probably around 1200, 16 pages.
> > A fair number of them occur in more than one chapter.
> > Like bibliography items, and for the sake of consistency, I have
> > stored them in some auxiliary files and it is a matter of copy and
> > paste to get them into the text in the proper place and way. (With
> > always a risk of accidentally deleting or adding a spurious brace
> > or bracket, with nasty results.)
> >
> > I wonder therefore whether it would be possible to handle them like
> > bibliography items, by means of a key, and leave their expansion to
> > ConTeXt.
> >
> > Would it be possible?
> > And if it is not (yet) possible, how could I perhaps tackle it?
>
> so you want to remap given index entries to new ones? at what moment?

We index pretty heavily now in the new bibliography dataset subsystem,
that is one can create an index of authors, an index of keywords, an
index of titles, etc. as well as index the pages on which a reference
is cited. All of the information is there.

So say that you want to create a database of anything: words, images,
phrases. You can put these into the database structure and then insert
them or any associated information wherever you want in your text,
later producing lists and indexes.

Can you give an example of what type of information you extensively
index with detail?

Alan