[NTG-context] output file size with repeated image

Hans Hagen pragma at wxs.nl
Tue Apr 14 19:39:00 CEST 2015

On 4/14/2015 7:07 PM, Pablo Rodriguez wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I have the following sample:
>
>      \setupexternalfigure[location=default]
>      \starttext
>      \startmode[repeated-image]
>      \dorecurse{10}{
>          \dorecurse{10}{
>              \dorecurse{10}{
>                  \externalfigure[cow]\input zapf\par}}}
>      \stopmode
>      \startmode[single-image]
>      \externalfigure[cow]
>      \dorecurse{10}{
>          \dorecurse{10}{
>              \dorecurse{10}{
>                  \input zapf\par}}}
>      \stopmode
>      \startmode[no-image]
>      \dorecurse{10}{
>          \dorecurse{10}{
>              \dorecurse{10}{
>                  \input zapf\par}}}
>      \stopmode
>      \stoptext
>
> Output file sizes with different modes are the following:
>
>      --mode=repeated-image    745KB
>
>      --mode=single-image      303KB
>
>      --mode=no-image          302KB
>
> Although the image is the same (and it is only embedded once) file size
> with repeated image is almost two and a half times that the version with
> a single image.
>
> Is this right or am I missing something?

(1) each reference to an image takes some 40 bytes (uncompressed)
(2) when you include the image n times you get 3 times as many pages
which means 400 more page descriptions etc, so you need to add 2 times
no image minus font overhead which is about what you see

context does some aggressive object sharing anyway so on the average the
pdf files produced are quite efficient