[NTG-context] (hindi) font questions

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Thu Apr 9 14:52:48 CEST 2015

> Am 08.04.2015 um 23:47 schrieb Harald Koenig <koenig at tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>:
>
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to type set a single hindi/devanagari word in a chapter heading (using standalone MkVI),
> where I need your help for some questions/problems:
>
> - which (free) font do you suggest ?  right now I'm using "Lohit-Devanagari".
>  text font is 11pt Palatino, Lohit doesn't match too good, and a bold version
>  would be nice for the chapter head.
>
> - font size: how do I define this font to get automatic/matching font sizes
>  for both the chapter head and the title of contents ?
>
> right now I use
>
>      \definefont [hindib] [Lohit-Devanagari at 24pt]
>      \mychapter{Danke -- {\hindib  धन्यवाद}}
>
> which gives a reaosonable font size for the chapter title,
> but of course that's way too large for the TOC:-(
>

> what's the right way to define a "scalable" single font (or two, if you have a suggestion
> for a normal+bold devanagari font) in ConTeXt ?

You can use the fallback mechanism to use a different font for characters which aren’t available in the main font.

\definefallbackfamily [mainface] [rm] [Devanagari MT] [range=devanagari,scale=1.2]
\definefontfamily     [mainface] [rm] [TeX Gyre Pagella]

\definefontfamily     [mainface] [mm] [TeX Gyre Pagella Math]

\setupbodyfont[mainface]

\starttext
Danke – धन्यवाद
\stoptext