[NTG-context] Having difficulty getting unicode characters to display in ConTeXT out put PDF

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Wed Apr 8 09:28:53 CEST 2015

Am 2015-04-08 um 00:40 schrieb david.boerschlein at juno.com:

> I am having difficulty getting Unicode characters to display correctly in PDF output using ConTeXT.   Also, the PDF Bookmarks are not showing in this example.
> Would you please give me some pointers and put a working multi-lingual example on the contextgarden.net website?

You don’t need the „regime“ stuff in ConTeXt MkIV, at least as long as you write in UTF-8.
But you need fonts that support your desired glyphs. DejaVu supports Russian and Armenian, but not Punjabi, Arabic and Hebrew (at least in the version installed at my computer).

I can’t help you with the PDF bookmarks, sorry; I tried different options, but the functionality is probably broken.

\usetypescript[dejavu]
\setupbodyfont[dejavu, 9pt]

% Enables index in PDF document
\setupinteraction[state=start]
\setupinteractionscreen[option=bookmark]
\placebookmarks[section][force=yes]

% Let us say hello in many languages
\starttext
    \setupfooter [state=start]
    \page[1]
    \startfrontmatter
        {\midaligned {\tfc{\WORD{Hello World}}}}
        \placecontent[extras={22=page},alternative=c]
    \stopfrontmatter
    \page[yes]
    \startbodymatter
        \section{1. Russian: Привет мир!} Russian: Привет мир! \\
        \section{2. Punjabi: ਸਤਿ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਦੁਨਿਆ!} Punjabi: ਸਤਿ ਸ੍ਰੀ ਅਕਾਲ ਦੁਨਿਆ! \\
        \section{3. Arabic: مرحبا أيها العالم!} Arabic: مرحبا أيها العالم! \\
        \section{4. Hebrew: שלום העולם!} Hebrew: שלום העולם! \\
        \section{5. Armenian: Բարեւ աշխարհ!} Armenian: Բարեւ աշխարհ! \\
    \stopbodymatter
\stoptext

Greetlings, Hraban
---