[NTG-context] RAL colours

Alan BRASLAU alan.braslau at cea.fr
Tue Apr 7 11:10:44 CEST 2015

On Sat, 4 Apr 2015 13:42:55 +0200
Hans Hagen <pragma at wxs.nl> wrote:

> On 4/4/2015 1:31 PM, Pavneet Arora wrote:
> > Of and on, I have struggled to find a colour space that is
> > expressive enough for printing, but convenient to access through
> > ConTeXt for day-to-day usage.  I find with X11 that the emphasis on
> > screen skews the colours to be brighter than what is desired,
> > especially if one is dealing with coloured stock---say beige
> > kraft---as I am doing with my current bit of typesetting.
> >
> > In this process I have come across the RAL colour space:
> >
> > http://www.ral-farben.de/content/application-help/all-ral-colours-names/overview-ral-classic-colours.html
> >
> > whose values can be conveniently (sort of) accessed at:
> >
> > http://rgb.to/ral/page/1
> >
> > For my immediate needs, I have simply created a set of:
> >
> > \definecolor[<colourName>][h=HHHHHH]
> >
> > However, I am wondering if it might make sense to have a
> > colo-imp-ral.mkiv?  So my questions would be:
> >
> > 1.  Is the RAL colour space a decent one for printing purposes?
> > What would be disadvantages, if not?
> >
> > 2.  Does colo-imp-ral.mkiv exist already?
>
> it's not in the distribution so it doesn't exist
>
> > 3.  If not, would others find it useful to have a
> > colo-imp-ral.mkiv?  If it doesn't then I would be happy to prepare
> > one and submit it.
>
> just go ahead

I have produced both Pantone as well as Roscolux color palates
from published web resources for my own use as they are of course
copyrighted. One could do the same with a RAL color palatte that is
widely used in the paint industry. Of course, none of these really make
any sense in printing as one needs appropriate tools to produce the
desired result - they will remain an approximation.

Alan

Roscolux: standard color set used in theater and cinema lighting.
(created from www.rosco.com) © Rosco Laboratories 1998-2009