[NTG-context] RAL colours

Henning Hraban Ramm texml at fiee.net
Sat Apr 4 17:34:49 CEST 2015

Am 2015-04-04 um 17:31 schrieb Pavneet Arora <pavneet_arora at waroc.com>:

> 1.  Is the RAL colour space a decent one for printing purposes?  What
>    would be disadvantages, if not?

No, it’s not. RAL colors are defined only for surface colors, like lacquer (varnish? paint).

Printing colors work differently, they’re mostly transparent.
A parallel to RAL in printing colors would be Pantone (or HKS in Germany, Toyo in Japan).
But these are copyrighted, so we would be most probably not allowed to ship a library of these.
(If I need some spot color, I look up the CMYK/RGB mix in Photoshop or InDesign.)

> 2.  Does colo-imp-ral.mkiv exist already?

That would make no sense IMO.

Greetlings, Hraban (printing engineer)
---
http://www.fiee.net