[NTG-context] line break between number and footnote text in paragraph footnotes

mf massifr at fastwebnet.it
Fri Apr 3 00:31:39 CEST 2015

> Hello,
> I have a problem with paragraph footnotes. I don't know how to prevent a
> line break occurring between the footnote number and the footnote text.
> Sometimes a thing like this happens:
>
> ... [main text] ...
>
> --------------
> 1. text of the first footnote --- 2. text of the second one --- 3.
> text of the third one
>
> Is there a way to force ConTeXt to keep the "3." with "text of the third
> one"?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Massi

> \definenote[footnote]
> \setupnotation[footnote][
>   alternative=serried,
>   numberstopper=,
>   numbercommand={\high},
>   numberconversion=a,
>   way=bypage,
>   width=0.5pt,
>   location=page]
>
> \setupnote[footnote][
>   alternative=serried,
>   paragraph=yes,
>   inbetween= \emdash{} ,
>   location=page,
>   before={\blank[2*line]}]
>
> \starttext
> First footnote\footnote{this is the text of the first footnote}.
> Another
> one\footnote{the second one, longer to get to the right margin}.
> And the third one,\footnote{third footnote} with the ā€œcā€ letter
> separated by a line break from the footnote text.
> \stoptext

I found a solution: adding a negative penalty at the end of the
inbetween parameter:

\setupnote[footnote][
  alternative=serried,
  paragraph=yes,
  inbetween= \emdash{} \penalty-1000,
  location=page,
  before={\blank[2*line]}]

The footnotes' area was like this:
---------
^a this is the text of the first footnote --- ^b the second... --- ^c
third footnote

Now it is like this:
---------
^a this is the text of the first footnote --- ^b the second... ---
^c third footnote

The first line ends with an em dash: it's not so fine, but it's better
than a letter (footnote number) split from the text of the footnote by a
line break.