[NTG-context] Selecting fonts using the built-in simplefonts module

Jörg Weger joerg73.muc at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 29 20:33:14 CEST 2015

On 29.03.2015 19:47, Wolfgang Schuster wrote:

>> Am 29.03.2015 um 14:40 schrieb Pavneet Arora <pavneet_arora at waroc.com
>> <mailto:pavneet_arora at waroc.com>>:
>>
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> After a long time I have some typesetting work in front of me...yippeee!
>>
>> I am struggling with adapting my templates to the new integrated
>> simplefonts module, and hope that someone can help.
>>
>> The three issues I am having are:
>>
>> 1.  How does one find the proper expanded long name of the desired font.
>>    For this project, I am using some fonts from The League of Moveable
>>    Type (https://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/).
>>
>>    I have reloaded the fonts, and can list them, in the traditional
>>    manner.  What I don't know is how to find the proper name for---say
>>    Junction Light---to use as the third argument in
>>    '\definefontfamily[mainface][ss][Junction Light]'
>>
>>    The use of 'Junction Light' doesn't work, and neither does
>>    'Junction-Light', nor 'junctionlight', nor even 'Junction, Light'
>>    which I retrieve from Font Viewer under Linux.  MWE follows at the
>>    end of this email.  I reference Wolfgang's response stating that the
>>    expanded name must be used
>>    (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2014/077321.html).
>
> You need the familyname of the font, you use the font manager of your OS
> to get the name.
>
> \definefontfamily [junction] [rm] [Junction]
> \definefontfamily [junction] [mm] [Latin Modern Math]
>
> \definefontfamily [junction-light] [rm] [Junction]
> [tf=style:light,bf=style:regular]

I just had it made working this way:

\definefontfamily[mainface]
	[ss]
	[EgalobhierFarinUrlaubodersonstwasoderwersteht]
	[tf=Junction Light, bf=Junction Regular]

It seems that as soon as you define your own weights (which you can mix
from different font families) in the fourth pair of brackets, there can
be anything in the third pair of brackets (family name).

\definefontfamily[mainface]
	[sans]
	[Anything]
	[regularfont=Junction Light, boldfont=Junction Regular]

works as well and is more self-explaining.

An advantage of your way

 > \definefontfamily [junction-light] [rm] [Junction]
 > [tf=style:light,bf=style:regular]

is that you have to type the family name only once if you re-define
weights from the same family.

Are there any reasons why one should not use any of all those synonyms?

Greetings Jörg