[NTG-context] Selecting fonts using the built-in simplefonts module

Wolfgang Schuster schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com
Sun Mar 29 19:47:00 CEST 2015

> Am 29.03.2015 um 14:40 schrieb Pavneet Arora <pavneet_arora at waroc.com>:
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> After a long time I have some typesetting work in front of me...yippeee!
>
> I am struggling with adapting my templates to the new integrated
> simplefonts module, and hope that someone can help.
>
> The three issues I am having are:
>
> 1.  How does one find the proper expanded long name of the desired font.
>    For this project, I am using some fonts from The League of Moveable
>    Type (https://www.theleagueofmoveabletype.com/).
>
>    I have reloaded the fonts, and can list them, in the traditional
>    manner.  What I don't know is how to find the proper name for---say
>    Junction Light---to use as the third argument in
>    '\definefontfamily[mainface][ss][Junction Light]'
>
>    The use of 'Junction Light' doesn't work, and neither does
>    'Junction-Light', nor 'junctionlight', nor even 'Junction, Light'
>    which I retrieve from Font Viewer under Linux.  MWE follows at the
>    end of this email.  I reference Wolfgang's response stating that the
>    expanded name must be used
>    (http://www.ntg.nl/pipermail/ntg-context/2014/077321.html).

You need the familyname of the font, you use the font manager of your OS to get the name.

\definefontfamily [junction] [rm] [Junction]
\definefontfamily [junction] [mm] [Latin Modern Math]

\definefontfamily [junction-light] [rm] [Junction] [tf=style:light,bf=style:regular]
\definefontfamily [junction-light] [mm] [Latin Modern Math]

\setupbodyfont[junction]

\starttext

\input ward \bf \input ward

\blank \switchtobodyfont[junction-light]

\tf \input ward \bf \input ward

\stoptext

> 2.  How does one switch fonts in-line for small snippets of text?  I
>    used to use '{\simplefont[heydingsicons] q}123.345.67890', but this
>    now results in an error.
>
>    tex error       > error on line 7 in file virtual://buffer.noname.1: ! Undefined control sequence
>
>    l.7                 {\simplefont [heydingsicons] q}~123.456.7890 {\simplefont[heydingsicons..

When you use a symbol font define a command for it with \definesymbol and access it with \symbol.

The example below uses the Font Awesome [1] font for the symbols (the symbols are defined in the attached file).

\usesymbols[fontawesome]

\defineframed
  [SymbolFrame]
  [strut=no,
   width=1em,
   height=1em,
   background=color,
   backgroundcolor=black,
   corner=round,
   radius=.5ex,
   foregroundcolor=white]

\definesymbol
  [mysymbol]
  [\SymbolFrame{\directsymbol{fontawesome}{question}}]

\starttext

\startlines
\symbol[fontawesome][question]
\symbol[fontawesome][question-circle]
\framed[strut=no,width=1em,height=1em,background=color,backgroundcolor=black,corner=round,radius=.5ex,foregroundcolor=white]{\symbol[fontawesome][question]}
\symbol[mysymbol]
\stoplines

\stoptext

> 3.  This may be a more generic typescript mapping issue, but I still
>    struggle with understanding font mappings.  I don't quite get how
>    the default mappings are done.
>
>    Look, for example, at Junction above.  'junction' is mapped to
>    'junctionbold' rather than 'junctionregular'.  Is this just done by
>    taking the first in the list in alphabetic order?
>
>    Or how the League Gothic font is processed below.  How is it that
>    leaguegothic is mapped to leaguegothiccondenseditalic by default?
>    What is the recommended way in this new simplefont scheme to set the
>    mappings for a document?
>
>    $ mtxrun --script fonts --list --all --pattern=leaguegothic
>
>    resolvers       | trees | analyzing 'home:texmf'
>    resolvers       | caching | skipping 'files' for 'home:texmf' from
>    '/opt/context/tex/texmf-cache/luatex-cache/context/5fe67e0bfe781ce0dde776fb1556f32e/trees/54be04d87dd160089f572b19cb5c97e9' (version mismatch)
>    leaguegothic                   leaguegothiccondenseditalic    /home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-CondensedItalic.otf
>    leaguegothiccondenseditalic    leaguegothiccondenseditalic    /home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-CondensedItalic.otf
>    leaguegothiccondensedregular   leaguegothiccondensedregular   /home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-CondensedRegular.otf
>    leaguegothicitalic             leaguegothicitalic             /home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-Italic.otf
>    leaguegothicregular            leaguegothicregular            /home/pavneet/.fonts/opentype/TheLeagueOfMoveableType/theleagueof-league-gothic-64c3ede/LeagueGothic-Regular.otf

There mappings are only relevant when you create your own typescripts where you access fonts
with the name method, e.g. \definefontsynonym [Serif] [name:leaguegothic] but simplefonts doesn’t
use of them.

[1] http://fontawesome.io <http://fontawesome.io/>

Wolfgang