[NTG-context] Selecting fonts using the built-in simplefonts module

Jörg Weger joerg73.muc at googlemail.com
Sun Mar 29 17:56:56 CEST 2015

Your mistake was that you did not use the correct font family name in
the third pair of square brackets. It is simply “Junction”.

I have yet to find out if ConTeXt itself can show a font’s true family name.

On Linux I am either  using a command line tool called otfinfo (that
also shows me what opentype features are there) or I open the font with
fontforge (if I want to find out more about the details of opentype
features) or I open it with mate-font-viewer (fork of
gnome-font-viewer). In the latter the family name is shown in the first
line on the right.

Name: Junction

What desktop environment are you using?

As far as I have understood by default the built in font-selection
module uses the “family members” named “Regular” and “Bold” of a
selected font family, e.g. in

\definefontfamily[mainface][ss][Junction]

\ss gives Junction Regular and \ss \bf gives Junction Bold

If you want to use different font weights you have to define them
yourself in a fourth pair of square brackets.

The League of Movable Type’s Junction font family offers three weights:
Light, Regular and Bold.

Assuming that you want to use Junction Light as your “regular sans
serif” font and Junction Regular as your “bold sans serif” you define
for sans serif:

\definefontfamily[mainface][ss][Junction]
	[regularfont=Junction Light, boldfont=Junction Regular]

Now \ss should give Junction Light and \ss \bf should give Junction Regular.

You can define italics as well, as the following definition for Google’s
Roboto shows where I am using light and black instead of regular and
bold. (Junction does not offer italic or slanted, that is why I use
Roboto as an example of a family with many weights and styles.
https://developer.android.com/design/style/typography.html should have
the reworked 2014 version for download.)

\definefontfamily[mainface][ss][Roboto]
	[regularfont=Roboto Light, italicfont=Roboto Light Italic,
	 boldfont=Roboto Black, bolditalicfont=Roboto Black Italic]

(You could even mix weights and styles from different font families.)

Hope that helps.

Greetings Jörg