[NTG-context] Adjusting vertical location of a margin figure

Mari Voipio mari.voipio at iki.fi
Tue Mar 24 11:30:44 CET 2015

Dear all,

in the user manuals I'm working with we'd like to put a graphic in the
margin when the text includes a warning or other important
information. I have found multiple ways of putting a graphic in the
margin (see below), but none of them works perfectly. In some the
graphic is placed to the baseline of the first row of the paragraph,
in others it is placed lower down and in short paragraphs ends up by
the next paragraph. What I want is a symbol in the margin aligned to
the top of the paragraph. Is this possible?
The graphic is always in the beginning of the paragraph, it doesn't
appear in the middle.

This is what I have this far:

\setupwhitespace[medium]

\starttext

\inmargin{\externalfigure[warning]}
\input tufte

\inmargin{\externalfigure[warning]}
Really short paragraph.

\inleft{
        \placefigure[none][]{}
            {\externalfigure[warning]}
        }
\input tufte

\placefigure[leftmargin,none]{}{\externalfigure[warning]}
\input tufte

\placefigure
    [inleft,none]
    {}
    {\externalfigure[warning]}
\input tufte

\placefigure
    [inleft,none]
    {}
    {\externalfigure[warning]}
Really short paragraph.

\stoptext

Of course I have the option of making the symbols textheight, in which
case \inmargin (aligning to baseline) would work. However, I'd rather
keep them bigger if that is possible.

Thanks,

Mari