[NTG-context] Indentation within footnotes

Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد ishamid at colostate.edu
Sun Mar 15 22:58:31 CET 2015

On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 15:43:47 -0600, Wolfgang Schuster
<schuster.wolfgang at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Am 15.03.2015 um 19:19 schrieb Idris Samawi Hamid ادريس سماوي حامد
>> <ishamid at colostate.edu>:
>>
>> Hi Pablo,
>>
>> On Sun, 15 Mar 2015 11:24:47 -0600, Pablo Rodriguez <oinos at gmx.es>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Changing indenting to {yes, next} only the third
>>> paragraph in the footnote is indented.
>>
>> My guess is that the first "next" is already hardwired into the
>> footnote mechanism. If you remove the "next" it should work. So this
>> works here:
>>
>> % \setupnotation[footnote][indenting={yes,big,next}]
>> \setupnotation[footnote][indenting={yes,big}]
>>
>> When I had the "next" I got the same result as you.
>

> I will show below the reason for the unexpected behaviour of the next
> keyword. What you should
> keep in mind is that context uses the same mechanism for enumerations,
> description and note
> entries.
>
> In older versions of the mechanism indentation was set before the title
> and content where placed
> but this produces unwanted results when you used the “next” keyword
> because the title itself
> was recognised as first paragraph (see page 1). After moving the
> indentation setting between
> the title and the content (see page 2) the “next” keyword produced the
> expected output.
>
> The problem is now when make the title part of the first paragraph
> because the indentation
> is changed until we start the second paragraph and the “next” keyword
> applies now to the third
> paragraph.
>
> %%%% begin example
> \setuppapersize[A5]
>
> \starttext
>
> % Page 1
>
> \start \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
>
> \noindent{\bf Description Title}
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stop
>
> \page
>
> % Page 2
>
> \start
>
> \noindent{\bf Description Title}
>
> \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
>
> \input knuth
>
> \stop
>
> \page
>
> % Page 3
>
> \start
>
> \noindent{\bf Description Title}
> \setupindenting[yes,medium,next]
> \input knuth
>
> \stop
>
> \stoptext
> %%%% end example

Thanks, Wolfgang -- or is it Hans? ;-) -- for this very instructive
example!

I just made one change: \noindentation instead of \noindent (my
understanding is that we're supposed to avoid very low-level indenting
commands).

So the first paragraph of a footnote insertion contains an implicit title,
or does the footnote numeral function as title? Anyway, very interesting!
Thanks again and

Best wishes
Idris
--